Prayer of Commitment: To Follow You

Here’s a prayer of commitment from the Love God, Love Neighbor website.

Prayer
(inspired by Matthew 16:24, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23)

Today, Lord,
I once again take up my cross and follow you.

Forgive me for choosing daily to be complacent.
Happiness has been my god and I have believed I’m entitled to it.
Forgive me for all the excuses I have
for not responding to you immediately, with urgency, and sacrificially.
Forgive me for complaining about being bored as I sit and do nothing.

Forgive me for the times I have tried to make
carrying my cross more comfortable.  
I have been too concerned with finding things to make it easier;
gadgets and toys to make my cross lighter, smaller, and cushioned.
Forgive me for making excuses
and not going with you because I was worried about
my health, safety, reputation, loneliness, financial security,
and ability to handle extreme weather and getting dirty.
Forgive me for focusing on my comfort rather than my character.

Forgive me for the times I have not followed you
because it wasn’t convenient.
I didn’t want to go out of my way to see the needs around me
because then I would feel guilty for not doing something about them.
Forgive me for not loving my neighbors–
I don’t even know their names.
Forgive me for trying to pacify my conscience
by giving just enough to feel good about myself
but not enough to inconvenience my lifestyle.

Today, Lord,
I once again take up my cross and follow you.
Shake me of my complacency;
I want to live daily with an urgency
to radically be the change you call me to be.
Strip me of my comforts;
may my love for you be a driving force to live with joyful surrender.
Scratch out my schedule;
I don’t want my circumstances or timeline
to influence my dedication and obedience
to take up my cross and follow you.
Here I am; Send Me.

May your word pour out of me like water to the thirsty,
and may my life be full of the fruit of the Spirit.
All I am and have I give back to you with open hands
knowing that all my needs you will meet as I go with you.
Today I take up my cross and follow you.
In Jesus Name, Amen.

~ excerpted from a prayer by Hila, and posted on the Love God, Love Neighbour website. http://www.lovegodloveneighbor.com/take-up-my-cross-and-follow-you-a-prayer-by-hila/