Psalm 23: "The Lord is My Counselor"


The fourth Sunday of Easter is known, in some circles, as “Good Shepherd” Sunday, since the scripture texts for this Sunday traditionally include Psalm 23 and John 10.  I thought it might be interesting to compile a wide variety of different paraphrases of the 23rd Psalm which might be useful in worship.

Here is paraphrase of the 23rd psalm written by Susan Secrest Waters.


The Lord is my Counselor,
I shall not try to solve things on my own.
He encourages me to trust Him.
He teaches me to listen in quietness & stillness to His voice,
He calms my anxious heart.

He guides me down the paths that are best for me,
even when I think I know better.

When I walk through the valley of frustration, worry,
fear and overwhelmingness,
He reminds me that He never sleeps or takes holidays off.
I need not fear being alone, for He is always with me.
His wisdom and advice, they comfort me.

He knows everything that is going on in my life,
but it remains confidential with Him.

Blessings overflow through my sessions with Him.
Surely my future is secure as I dwell in the house of the Lord,
leaving my problems at His feet,
and following His advice that is free of charge,
all the days of my life!

— © 2000 by Susan Secrest Waters
posted on the Women in Focus website.

For more paraphrases of Psalm 23,
click on Psalm 23 in the list of “Labels”
at the lower right side of the page.

For more worship resources for Good Shepherd Sunday,
(the fourth Sunday of Easter),
click on Easter 4 at the right side of the page.