Psalm 23: "Looking Back"


The fourth Sunday of Easter is known, in some circles, as “Good Shepherd” Sunday, since the scripture texts for this Sunday traditionally include Psalm 23 and John 10.  I thought it might be interesting to compile a wide variety of different paraphrases of the 23rd Psalm which might be useful in worship.

Here is paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm written by James Taylor in his wonderful collection, Everyday Psalms (Wood Lake Books).  I highly recommend the book!

(This psalm could have been written by an older person,
reflecting on a long and full life.)
  
God has walked with me; I could ask nothing more.
God has given me green meadows to laugh in,
clear streams to think beside, untrodden paths to explore.

When I thought the world rested on my shoulders,
God put things into perspective.
When I lashed out at an unfair world, God calmed me down.
When I drifted into harmful ways, God straightened me out.
God was with me all the way.

I do not know what lies ahead, but I am not afraid.
I know you will be with me.
Even in death, I will not despair.
You will comfort and support me.
Though my eye dims and my mind dulls,
you will continue to care about me.
Your touch will soothe the tension in my temples;
my fears will fade away.
I am content.

In life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with me.
All through life, I have found goodness in people.
When life ends, I expect to be gathered
into the ultimate goodness of God.

—written by James Taylor, in Everyday Psalms
and posted on the Canadian Rural Church Network website.

For more paraphrases of Psalm 23,
click on Psalm 23 in the list of “Labels”
at the lower right side of the page.

For more worship resources for Good Shepherd Sunday,
(the fourth Sunday of Easter),
click on Easter 4 at the right side of the page.