Psalm 23: "The Eternal One"

Image: from the Catacomb of Domatilla, 3rd century

The fourth Sunday of Easter is known, in some circles, as “Good Shepherd” Sunday, since the scripture texts for this Sunday traditionally include Psalm 23 and John 10.  I thought it might be interesting to compile a wide variety of different paraphrases of the 23rd Psalm which might be useful in worship.

Here is paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm written by Will Humes on his blog Word and Table: Preaching and Worship Resources for the Busy Pastor

The Eternal One is my shepherd,
I lack nothing.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside peaceful waters;
he restores my life.
He guides me along right paths
for the sake of his name.
Even if I walk through
the valley of deepest darkness,
I will fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff –
they comfort me.
You set a table before me
in front of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and loving kindness will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
for the length of my days.

— Will Humes

For more paraphrases of Psalm 23,
click on Psalm 23 in the list of “Labels”
at the lower right side of the page.

For more worship resources for Good Shepherd Sunday,
(the fourth Sunday of Easter),
click on Easter 4 at the right side of the page.