Easter 5: Traditional hymns & songs

If you’re using the lectionary texts for worship on the fifth Sunday of Easter (May 22, 2011), here are some traditional hymns and gospel songs that might be suitable. 

Psalm 31
Lead Me, Guide Me (I am weak and I need thy strength), Doris Akers
How Firm a Foundation, traditional American
I Will Call Upon the Lord, Michael O’Shields

Acts 7:55-60
In the Cross of Christ I Glory, John Bowring
We Walk by Faith, Henry Alford
My Faith Looks Up to Thee, Ray Palmer
Faith of Our Fathers (the Martyrs), Frederick Faber
I Know Whom I Have Believed (I know not why), Daniel Whittle
The Solid Rock (My hope is built), Edward Mote
When Peace, Like a River, Horatio Spafford
Ask Ye What Great Thing I Know, Johann Schwedler
Blessed Assurance, Fanny Crosby
If Christ is Mine, Benjamin Beddome
A Mighty Fortress is Our God, Martin Luther
Children of the Heavenly Father, Caroline Sandell-Berg
I’d Rather Have Jesus, Rhea Miller
Be Thou My Vision, trad. Irish, trans. Mary Byrne
For All the Saints, William How

I Peter 2:2-10
Christ is Made the Sure Foundation, 7th century Latin, transl. John Mason Neale
Christ Is Our Cornerstone, 8th century Latin, transl. John Chandler
The Church's One Foundation, S.J. Stone
Built on the Rock, Nikolai Grundtvig
God of Grace and God of Glory, Harry Emerson Fosdick

John 14:1-14
I Am Trusting You, Lord Jesus, Frances Havergal
How Great Thou Art, Stuart K. Hine
I Know That My Redeemer Liveth, Jessie Pounds
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, Elisha Hoffman
‘Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus, Louisa Stead
Thou Art the Way, George Doane
‘Tis Not with Eyes of Flesh We See, Ora Garber
Have Faith in God, B.B. McKinney


For other song suggestions, see Natalie Sims’ Singing from the Lectionary website. 

For other worship resources for the fifth Sunday of Easter, click on Easter 5 in the list of “Labels” at the right side of the page.