Another new hymn for Fathers' Day


Here’s another wonderful contemporary hymn text which would be a great addition to worship on Fathers’ Day (June 19, 2011).  It was written by Mary Jackson Cathey, and is posted on Hope Publishing’s Online Hymnody site. If you have a CCLI, OneLicense or LicenSing copyright license, you can use the hymn legally.  (Just remember to report it!)

The tune suggestion for this hymn is NUN DANKET ALLE GOTT (“Now thank we all our God”).

I Am a Child of God

I am a child of God, the One who made and keeps me.
By God’s free gift of love, God’s child I always will be.
Forever I belong, I know that this is true;
and with my mind and heart, I trust and love God, too.

God’s image is in us, the people of creation.
No matter where we live, we share a close relation.
God’s covenant is sure, eternal word for all
who follow in God’s way and answer to God’s call.

God never turns from us, not even in our sinning.
God loves and waits for us to claim a new beginning.
By opening our hearts, we then prepare the way
for God’s love to come in and guide us ev’ry day.

I thank God for that love and all the world around me,
the seen and unseen things and promised things that will be.
Through worship, trust, and prayer, may I reflect God’s will.
Let love be seen in me as I God’s word fulfill.

— Mary Jackson Cathey
© 2005 Hope Publishing Company

A PDF of the song is available on Hope Publishing’s Online Hymnody site. Just search for the title of the hymn.

For more song suggestions and worship resources for Fathers’ Day, click on Fathers’ Day resources in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.